Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cracks in Concrete

My life has turned out like concrete. Its a closer metaphor than I ever thought because two things are certain with concrete:  It will get hard and it will crack.  Cracking can be the result of several factors such as the foundation being un-level, un-settled, or the applied load to the concrete is too great. Cracking can not be prevented but it can be significantly reduced or controlled when the causes are taken into account and preventative steps are taken. 

Today I decided to talk about my concrete, its cracks, and its uneven, unsettled load. Please note that if the foundation is unstable, unlevel, or shaky at all, it will not matter what extra miles you travel to strengthen the concrete it will crumble every time. Another problem associated with cracks in your concrete is public perception of those cracks. Some people (who have cracks in their own concrete) are the first to point another person's faults; it would be great if people approached each other with good intentions of building up each other, in their values, strength, and foundation instead of tearing each other down. We need each other's help to fill in the cracks. I know they can be unsightly but many feel that if a crack develops, the product has failed. If there is a crack and is not structural, is not too wide, and is not leaking bad stuff into your environment, it is fixable.  

 
Evaluating my cracks:

I know that God had some cracks in my concrete that were supposed to be there; pre-set almost, serving as a reminder for me to keep my foundation strong, to bend but not break, and to look to him for strength. I would think my concrete right now appears to have a swirly pattern with everything I have going on. It goes to show that God does have a sense of humor after all eh?
I think its important to realize that God places cracks in your concrete to prevent a possible crumble in the entire foundation.

The most important part of caring for your concrete is to make sure that you do try to fill in your cracks and not leave them open and vulnerable.  Work diligently until all the patchwork is done because if you don't, it leaves an open door for weeds to start growing. Once there is a bad seed planted, you have a bigger problem that will take much longer to deal with, as the weed is deep-rooted and you'll have to do a lot of digging to get it all out.


I know filling your cracks is a long process, but I feel like I'm just getting started and I'm not ready to deal with more weeds yet. If only round-up would help. I feel there is no simple solution and will have to do this one step at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome....I will post this immediately...thanks for sharing.
    lankaihe@facebook.com
    www.facebook.com/lankaihe

    ReplyDelete