Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dragonflies and Butterflies


On the days I really miss my dad or am having a bad day (before my mom passed), I would always encounter dragonflies, even if they were out of season. I remember Christmas of 2010 (my first Christmas without my father and my last Christmas with my mother), we had a white Christmas. I was leaving work and waiting at a red light and there was about 4'' of snow on the ground and I remember this fire orange dragonfly coming up to the windshield of my car and hovering right in front of my face, as if it was my father letting me know everything would be okay.  
Since we lost mom in November, when I am having a really bad day or really missing my mom, I encounter white butterflies, usually in my front yard.  I saw one a couple of days ago and this is the third one I've seen this week. I've been having a hard time because we finally ordered her tomb stone. I wish I could have processed the thought quickly enough to snap a photo of the butterfly to share it with the world but I searched the internet over for an existing photo of a butterfly beautiful enough to even share the experience with you, but a photograph of such love and perfection simply does not exist.  I guess it doesn't exist because that was God's gift for just me.  It is a solid white butterfly, a little smaller than the palm of your hand with no markings on it at all. Its wings are so smooth and buttery that they look like white velvet, completely blemish-free. They are the purest white I've ever seen and always flutters around me as if performing in this elaborate ballet for me.  

Thank you God for your daily reminders of your presence and for my parents. 

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth aka bonoist on YTMarch 9, 2012 at 5:51 AM

    Beautiful. Nice that you are able to notice these special reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of something one might find in the book, When God Winks at You, by Squire Rushnell. Amazing blog you have. I found it looking for a photograph of a red dragonfly to show my granddaughter. Lovely thoughts.

    ReplyDelete