Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Number Forty

In our culture, the number forty has become associated with being "over the hill" or some negative connotation. In Bible times, Moses' life was divided into three forty year sets and the number forty has been researched and is symbolic of a test. Looking back at Moses and so much of his journey being in the wilderness and everything he went through and living his life as a test of his faith is so humbling to me. I know my journey isn't anything like Moses' journey, but it is wilderness to me and I have to try to learn by his example to be comfortable with being alone with God. 

I am not catholic and have never observed lent; I never knew much about it to be honest with you. I have done some research and I have found that the whole point of lent is fasting and prayer. After realizing the symbolism of the number forty and knowing that lent is the forty days before Easter, I am going to make a valiant effort to deepen my relationship with God and dedicate more time for him for these forty days (even though I'm a few days behind). It is my goal to spend time with the Lord each day and blog; it seems to be through my writing that God speaks to me and when I take time to write is when I really experience God.  


I am not giving up anything or fasting per se, I am trying to just give more to God in general; Lord knows he's not selfish with what he gives to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment